The ‘Chain of Ponds’, initially described a creek, ran all the way from Kersbrook to its confluence with the River Torrens near Prairie in the Adelaide Hills, South Australia. The area was dotted at regular intervals with small ponds, having no visible connection above the ground yet never drying up even in the driest Summers. Much of these chain of water holes, known as the Chain of Ponds, vanished under the waters of the Millbrook Reservoir in 1918.
One of the earliest wineries and vineyards in the area. The Chain of Ponds winery was established in 1985 on the outskirts of Gumeracha, approximately 4km from the original township. While vineyards have been part of the area’s makeup since colonisation, the Chain of Ponds Winery was the first major planting of any note in the northern area of the Adelaide Hills Wine region.
With the first vintage dating back to 1988. An initial plating of four thousand vines consisted of nine varieties, 470 vines of each. This was further increased, with an additional 150 acres, planted in 1989.
Intensely aromatic on the nose look for freshly cut pears, nectarine, new season peach and citrus zest. On the palate the wine is textured and layered with mouth watering, balanced acidity.